Sunday 14 September 2008

The warmth of Spring

Yesterday it was a warm and cosy 25 degrees C. Spring was so welcoming. I had the opportunity to snap a quilt I finished recently. The sun was out, not a speck of rain in sight, and it wasn't TOO windy. This is my Jane Austen quilt.

Rosie, Sandra, Andrea and I have been going to quilt history lessons for a few years now. About 2 years ago I was browsing in a quilt shop (who doesn't?) and I spied the new Jane Austen fabric range. I made a few phone calls and left the shop with fabric for all of us.

Jane Austen's quilt is made from pieced diamonds with broderie perse on the centre diamond. I wanted to include diamonds, but not actually cut them out, so I designed this quilt and made it completely from triangles. I chose the easy way out with no applique, so I added the unusual border.

Andrea has made a lone star quilt (diamonds), but I think she wants to applique in the spaces around the star.

Sandra has appliqued in the centre of a stack of diamonds, I think she is up to putting it together.

Rosie made a whole lot of four-patches and plans to applique across the top.

I am the only one finished because I took the easy way out, but I am happy it is finished. They are ahead of me in our other challenges (1920s redwork and feedsacks - but more about them later).

Come on girls!!

Here are a few snaps from my garden yesterday:


























1 comment:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Have you seen Linda Franz's book 1 and 2 on Quilted Diamonds, the whole books are awash with Jane Austen-isms! Sharyn/KalamaQuilts