Thursday 20 May 2010

Butterfly Boxes

Tuesday night I designed this quilt, Wednesday afternoon I started to make it. Wednesday night it was finished.


The egg and butterfly fabrics inspired me (they are both from the moda range "Cherish Nature"). They reminded me of old museum collections.
You know, insects in glass cabinets or drawers, bird eggs, taxidermied birds, preserved bird nests and cocoons.
I will write up the pattern - it is going to be sold as a kit.


I am so thrilled with this little quilt. I had a vision and just made it happen!!

Perhaps it is the lepidopterist in me?? (I studied butterfly ecology for my honours thesis).

Thanks Donna for suggesting the buttons which look like drawer handles. They add 3-dimensionality, and a vintage look. I used old buttons I bought from the opp shop some time ago.

I hereby name this quilt "Butterfly Boxes".

2 comments:

Karen said...

Very clever! A wonderful quilt.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Lovely! Go Girlfriend, follow your dream! Sharyn