Monday, August 24, 2015

More baby wardrobe essentials

And this completes our wardrobe of nappy pants - 11 pairs to fit up to 3 months of age. I wonder how long they will fit?
I am certain it will be more comfortable to hold and cuddle a baby wearing a singlet and cotton nappy pants than to sweat holding a baby in a plastic nappy.

Right! Onto the next project! Only a few weeks before the sewing machine is packed away for quite some time. Eep! But who is panicking?

Friday, August 21, 2015

Twelve red robins revival

Here is a blast from the past... I finished this stitchery (and a pink one too), probably a year or so ago. Now I've found some wonderful fabric for the squares, and as you can see my cutting mat and rulers are here with me (didn't have space for them in a caravan).

Next step: add borders, baste, quilt and bind ready for Christmas (the machine will probably be away until after Christmas).

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Summer wardrobe essentials

Introducing the first glimpse of Baby's exclusive Summer wardrobe.. Singlets teemed with nappy pants are sure to be the winner this Summer.

I've figured out how to make a pair of these pants from a fat quarter. I bought 10 fat quarters for $10 at Spotlight earlier in the year, and kept cutting. These (plus 5 more pairs) were cut out a couple of weeks ago. Then I had a go at putting them together using this pattern and tutorial. I put them aside for a while. There had to be an easier way! I tweaked the instructions, and now I have six pairs. Just need to buy more elastic for the next ones!

Feeling more and more tired as we come closer to meeting our Baby, and of course more busy, with more Dr and specialist appointments. However, the sewing mustn't slow down too much! We are on a deadline here!

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Quilts in use

I love to have photos of gifts I've made being used. This is my new nephew Miles trying out his baby quilt for the first time. Ooh, a bit chilly outside in Victoria.

Have you ever been disappointed that you've spent all this time and money making a quilt (or knitted item etc) for someone and they haven't sent you a photo of it in use? It breaks my heart. I know that once I've given a quilt away, it's not mine anymore, and they can do whatever they like with it (even line the dog bed)... but I will be sure to send people photos of any home made gifts in use when our Bub comes along in .

I look forward to seeing many more photos of Miles with his baby quilt. Thank you Libby for sending me lots of photos. xoxo

Friday, August 7, 2015

The Pointy End

Closer and closer our due date looms, and I am still working on the baby quilt. All hexagons are now pieced and joined. 
Then I "floated" the centre over one large piece of fabric and appliqued the already-turned-under edge onto the red check.
Then I flipped it to the back and cut away the checked fabric leaving a 1/4 inch between the applique edge and the raw edge underneath. Now, the checker is not showing through the vanilla hexies, and I have a beautiful big piece of Flower Milk Sugar fabric to go with the leftover jelly roll pieces. (What to make? Who knows?)

Okay. Now to spray baste, and hand quilt with DMC perle.

We are getting to the Pointy End of this pregnancy, and I want to make sure our Bub has a quilt ready to go (32 weeks now.... oh my!)...

Monday, July 27, 2015

More Baby sewing

It feels so good to be behind the wheel of the sewing machine again.... I am dreaming of a sewing studio for next year... ooh! How wonderful! I won't have to pack everything up all the time!

Quite excitedly I anticipate a design wall and plenty of storage and display space as well as natural light, and air conditioning (a necessary here in Far North Queensland).

I have a wish list of sewing to-dos before baby arrives and the sewing machine and all that goes with it go away... I wonder just how much will be finished in time....

I made 12 very absorbent baby bibs from one towel, with ribbing and binding on the edges... such a joy to prepare bright and colourful wearables for my little one on the way!

It gives me great joy to make something useful and decorative.

Next year I will be decorating my studio and our new home.... I hope to have lots of finishes to show and tell.

For now, I shall have a rummage to see what I feel like making next.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Feeling content

Woohoo! It's a very exciting place to be in with two finished items posted today. *sigh*

All I needed was an hour or so on the sewing machine (which is now home again, with a newly inserted "bobbin stopper", whatever that is) to finish two projects!
 Front of the embroidered cushion
 Back of the embroidered cushion - a special yoga festival gift of gratitude

It's traditional to send flowers, but I think this kind will last longer.

The Swedish Baby Quilt which I named "Swedish Baby Garden". It is an absolute joy to complete a project that has made your heart sing!
 I know my sister is going to love it. It is her colours all over. I am sure she will send photos of the quilt in the nursery and with her Bub which is now 37 weeks cooked - this means Bub could be born at any time.
 The back is just as fun. Little mushroom fabrics surrounded by a red spot binding reminds me of Amanita mushrooms (toadstools). I love the contrast and the garden feel.
Congratulations Feupie, I am so excited for you.

And that's two parcels by registered post today. Oh! Feeling so content with these finishes.