Thursday 4 September 2008

Burning thread

I have been finishing so many projects I have been burning through the thread!


The large cones hold 3000yds and the small one holds 500yds. It is much more economical to buy the cone. 6 times the thread for 3 1/2 times the price. I will be purchasing another cone or two!
I love how these blocks look close up.


I finished the final 6 blocks last night.





I arranged the 56 blocks on the white doona cover and experimented with colours for the sashing. Black, too dark and too cold. Brown, too light. Purple... perfect! I am going to try and put the top together for the weekend. It would be nice to meet Mum for lunch on Sunday and give her this quilt top. I am hoping she has finished quilting the 2007 mystery quilt!

I took a closeup of this block to show you this wonderful conversation print. It's a cricket playing billiards. I have had it for a few years now and I use it sparingly in projects. I think I put it in the vintage log cabin quilt too.
Conversation prints were used to make dresses and shirts. The best example of how they were really used is in the BBC's mini-series of "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Frith. The "Jane Austen" dresses were often made in conversation prints or what we call "shirting prints" - and this series accurately reflects this. From a distance the girls' day dresses look completely white, but they do have prints on them.

P.S. Did you see my quilt on Quilter's Show and Tell? It's a great blog. They feature a new quilt each day. You can submit your quilt for show and tell too.






2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Lovely log cabin in the quilter's show & tell. (Thanks for telling us about that blog, new source for eye candy!)

Karen said...

It's looking good. Love the fabrics.