Sunday 24 August 2008

Charles and Di up in flames

I am busting to be accepted into the "Liberated Quilters" blogring. I have added the info to the side of my blog. I am not sure whether I will qualify yet. What if they already have their 30 members and I need to join a waiting list? *sigh* It is just so inspiring!! I have been studying quilt history for about 4 years, and the more vintage and antique quilts I see, the more I like, and the more I let loose. Not enough fabric? Substitute or join bits together!


Here is a quilt I made a few years ago... (maybe 2003, when I only had my ancient sewing machine). We were given a photocopy of the front page of a newspaper and were to make a quilt inspired by stories on the page. My page had stories about Prince Charles and Princess Diana splitting up and 2 people apprehended for their role in starting local bushfires. I called it "Charles and Di up in flames". It won the Editor's (of the newspaper) Choice prize. I love the way the flames overtake the binding edges. Charles and Di are quilted in variegated red threads.

Here is a photo of the back.

My usual workspace has been dismantled for the weekend. *sigh* So, I can't use my cutting mat etc (no room!!) this weekend. I haven't been able to make any progress on the Chicken Soup quilt. I did sew about 6 civil war hexagons at the quilt-in yesterday though! LOL!!!

No comments: