Thursday 5 January 2017

The Great Pyramid - Eight Is Great Challenge

Here it is.

The finished piece "The Great Pyramid".

and the back before it has a label

This wallhanging was made as part of Project Quilting's "Eight Is Great" Challenge. You can see more completed challenge items by clicking the link. Challenge items had to be started and finished in only one week.

When I first read the challenge I googled images of  '8 sides'. This particular image caught my eye:


(source Ancient Code) click for link

The more I read, the more I was intrigued. It seems The Great Pyramid (also called the Pyramid of Cheops, The Khufu Pyramid and the Pyramid of Giza) actually has 8 sides. This was previously only found by the serious mathematics buffs who measured the pyramid, but now it can also be seen  by air after the invention of planes, but only during an equinox.




(source Ancient Code) click for link

The King's Chamber, in the centre of the pyramid lines up with the middle star in Orion's belt in the constellation of Orion.

My interpretation of "Eight is Great" shows the Great 8 sided pyramid, shooting 8 beams of light between the centre star of Orion's belt and the tip of the pyramid.

Made from navy cotton, shot silk, crystal organza, satin,  fabric paint, iron on diamantes and bamboo wadding, It measures 30 1/4 inches by 15 1,2 inches


Made in subtropical North Queensland, Australia.


To read more about the trials during the creation of The Great Pyramid wallhanging click here for all related blog posts.


5 comments:

Jo said...

Gr8 work....
Happy sewing Friday night too.

BizarreQuilter said...

Thank you Jo! I wonder what to sew tomorrow!

Trish Frankland said...

I love this! I was super obsessed with King Tut as a kid, and I love your interpretation on this project. Nice work!

PersimonDreams said...

This is wonderful! I'm learning so many new things about "8" as a result of the projects!!!! LOVE!

Amy said...

This is so cool! I didn't know that about the great pyramid, fascinating!
Orion is my favorite constellation and this time of the year he is amazingly bright. This is so unique and beautiful!