Friday 27 January 2017

Margaret Sampson George - inspiration and bookmarks

I've been looking for some extra inspiration, and I think I've found it. Broderie has shared some photos from workshops Margaret has been running. (click the link for the source of all broderie photos shown here).

Margaret Sampson George lives in Victoria, Australia. She doesn't seem to have a blog or website, but this book has just been published.

And she seems to teach at a couple of Victorian shops fairly frequently, inlluding Material Obsession.

These colours and fabrics are just what I am interested in creating with at the moment. These are easily compared with the fabrics I just put together for Esther's mystery Secret Garden quilt I am planning to make for myself to celebrate 20 years of making quilts this year.




The look features busy backgrounds, whimsical, lurid and bright fabrics that might be seen to "clash". It's exactly what I am trying to attain with Secret Garden.

It's quite exciting to see your inner vision already coming to life in one sense, by someone else's hands. Particularly because I can see that it just works! It makes me eager to add even more whimsy and interest to my upcoming projects.

Ooh! I wonder what the next theme is for Project Quilting! It is released tomorrow. How can I incorporate some whimsy and colour? We shall see.

And while I am at it.. here is a personal bookmark for some other inspiration: Mrs Sew and Sew embroidery seen on the broderie blog.


And I love the way the paper shapes are used for overlaying applique to add geometry to the curves form broderie perse on this picture from Cardygirl.



As for me? This is my up to date applique picture for the first block of Diamond Hill by Esther.

I was really powering along with the applique to get as much done as I can before the next Project Quilting. Now, I feel like doing some easy redwork to complete a block before I start Secret Garden. I also need to catch up on some blocks for the Goblin King QAL.

No comments: