Wednesday 9 August 2023

Sacred yoni relief tile

As part of my art course, I've created a relief tile in buff raku clay.

The mood board is a theme I've always been interested in.

I created a number of thumbnail drawings, then on the day (today), I found that not all of them were easy to create in the medium.

So I used my moodboard and thumbnail drawings to tweak and revise the original idea.

This is what I came up with.




The sacred feminine and our lady of Guadalupe has always been a special theme for me, so it made sense to put it into a tile.

When I researched relief sculpture, I found I preferred sculptures with recessed sections. So this design allowed me to really cutaway in the centre to create that contrast with the recessed areas.

I'm looking forward to seeing this dried as greenware, then bisque fired. After that we underglaze and it gets fired again.

 

No comments: