Sunday 10 January 2021

The triumph of a quilt that took over 10 years to complete.

 Well chill my chitlins! It's only been 11 years that I needed to finish this quilt!


It's the 12 days of Christmas bird quilt. I think I started it in 2009, and it was my facebook password for YEARS, the idea being that typing it in would remind me that I needed to finish it. (Hey, I don't do that anymore, passwords are much more secure!)




It was the outermost border that was stuffing me around, so in the end, I decided not to include it.


!!


Mum custom quilted it for me (she can't remember her password, but you know I think it was something to do with when blogger became google and all the passwords went weird, because we didn't understand that the password for all google apps became the same, and we didn't know which apps google was running.)


12 Lords a leaping. I distinctly remember hand embroidering these in Bajaj Homestay in Karol Bagh, Delhi, Summer of 2010. That's how long this has been wanting to be complete.


I found this little pear fabric which turned out to go with the colours beautifully.


Little quilt centre.


9 maids a milking. 

7 swans a swimming.

6 geese a laying

5 golden rings

4 calling birds

3 french hens

\
2 turtle doves

partridge in a pear tree


Even though these are not my favourite colours anymore, I have so many Christmas pieces I've made in so many colours, that it won't matter.

I wonder if one day I will have rooms with different colour Christmas themes. Hmm, that's something to think about.

No comments: