Monday, 6 March 2017

More applied research into turned edge applique

Everything seems to be going slowly, slowly.

Perhaps it is because I am trying to pay attention to the effects of the applique techniques...

Perhaps it is because I am improving my skills, which takes more time and concentration...

Perhaps it is because I only had about an hour a day to work on my applique..

And then, maybe it is just a lack of faith in my abilities.. like I had forgotten how to "sit into" my skills, and KNOW I've always been good at this stuff, and just let it grow underneath my fingers without second guessing and inspecting everything so much.

However! There is progress!

Hurrah! And I am happy to share some findings once again.

This is a flower with tiny little fiddly curves and sharp points.
circular flower made with two layers of freezer paper, and starch method

Each piece overlays another. In my "old days" stitching applique, I could make the individual shape EASY PEASEY with smooth curves and pointy points, but the pieces would move everywhere and would not overlay, and the outsides probably wouldn't make an even circle. This is why I am trying out different methods. I want precision placement.

For these shaped pieces, this was the best technique for me (double layered freezer paper with starch method, and pieced removed before stitching). The trickiest parts were the curves into the centre of the flower. I used Roxanne's to baste the pieces down, and stitched them very very quickly. With no freezer paper left inside, the sewing was fast.

In direct contrast, the sepal (green bit at the base of the flower, connecting to the stem), had the Floriani fusible stitch n wash still in there. It felt bulky to stitch around compared to the swirls of the flower.

Still to come: I have prepared another circular flower  using the Floriani fusible stitch n wash with starch. It needs to be hand stitched before I decide if I like it.

I love the way the shape came out on this flower. It feels firm and supported.

Floriani stitch and wash fusible left inside flower, edges turned with starch

The Floriani fusible stitch n wash is inside the whole flower. I didn't like stitching the yellow section down as the needle had to go down right through a section of stabiliser on the back of the orange fabric. The wide sweeping curves were easier to turn with the stabiliser than the fiddly curves on the previous flower.

It feels nice to touch, but it was not as pleasant to stitch.

So far, I feel double freezer paper with starch and removing the freezer paper before stitching  is my favourite. The technique needs more practise on my part, perhaps the new Clover 11 iron will help as compared to using my standard sized iron, which is heavy, bulky and blocks my view when turning under seams.

No comments: