Tuesday 27 April 2010

This is what happens...

Okay, here's the thing (WARNING: quite a long post here)...

I finished this little quilt top, and thought I would start another one straight away...

I tried out 3 different ways of foundation piecing....


(a) the "usual" way i.e. using a lightweight vilene as a foundation - my block ended up 4in x 4.25in instead of 4.25in square

(b) a "new" way for me - with freezer paper (you fold all the sewing lines onto the foundation, then you don't actually sew through the freezer paper, but right next to it) - not accurate enough for me with these little blocks (and isn't that what foundation piecing is for?) see the little pieces don't look like squares?

(c) using an iron-on multi-directional stabiliser. This worked the best, but it was tedious.... so much paper to remove!

Next, I am going to try the new washaway product in my LQS. I will give you an update...


I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere... so I put those aside and went in search of something else to sew. This is when my list of 5 was needed, where was it? which was here on the computer... not at home with me!!

I wandered around the house with itchy fingers.

Then I found 2 PIGs and made them up!

Two soft books I made from panels. The first one (Tiny Tailors) had really good instructions, so I used that idea to help make the Maisy one. The Maisy squares had to be cut out individually and arranged to make a book that told a "story". That took a little bit longer....




Then I looked at these bits leftover from my French Braid, and put them next to the sewing machine to use as "leaders and enders". If I make 2 braids the same length I can join them side by side to make a tablerunner for my sister's birthday (she never reads this blog, just not interested!!).


So, that's what happens when you have a day off, on a cold, rainy day and there is no applique prepared!!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I absolutely love your little quilt! How big are the blocks? And I bought Lizzie's Medallion pattern at the shop here last week. Your applique center is gorgeous.